DC's New 52

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DC's New 52

Post by redeagle321 on 11/17/2011, 12:24 pm

For those that don't know, Recently DC did a big project in the form of re- booting their most iconic characters' comic stories. I figured I'd throw up a thread to see what those that've read it thought about it.

I'm a bit of a split ticket- I haven't read all of the 52 new storylines, but I doubt anyone has. What I have read though.... was OK. THe new Superman, Batman, Cyborg and Deathstroke comics aren't bad- the art is pretty good and I suppose the stories are pretty good, but I'm not gonna' lie, it's kind of odd seeing characters that have been established for ages like Superman going all the back to square one, and a new square one at that.

But that's just me, how about you other comic buffs out there?

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/redeagle321

Back to top Go down

Re: DC's New 52

Post by Vandal on 11/17/2011, 2:38 pm

Alright let's see here...

Birds of Prey has amazing art and an on your edge thrilling story, though they basically gave a new character Starling Oracle's job which sorta really pissed me off, though I'm glad that Dinah every now and then goes to Babs for advice and help. Detective comics is just flat out probably one of the worst adaptations for Batman I've ever seen. Batman the Dark Knight is also bad, but I'm going to continue with it because it seems like the only story that's really linking the Gotham stories together. Batwoman makes me feel uncomfortable, the stories are way too short, though the art is nice. What started off good is now beginning to dip for Nightwing. Batgirl's art is bad, but the story is good. Artist Adrian Syaf seems to be growing slowly though. Scott Snyder's Batman is just plain epic. He and Greg Capullo make good for what is Batman. Batman and Robin took me by surprise as both the art and the story is top notch. Though Catwoman isn't pulling enough weight, it seems to be trying to leave you at the most craziest cliff hangers. All Star Western was good, but the second comic just murdered it so quickly it wasn't even funny. Justice Leage must be my favorite series so far, it has a captivating story, amazing art, with laugh out loud jokes and insane action sequences. Justice League International on the other hand fails in all aspects. They fail to introduce characters and thus falls flat. Justice League Dark is confusing at the start of each comic but you get everything by the end. It has exceptional art and a decent writing team. Wonder Woman has great art, but it took three issues for it to finally get interesting. Green Lantern is just great, though I wish the art was better. Aquaman is also amazing, anything by Geoff Johns you should consider picking up. The Flash sould be funnier, but its not. Art is great but it honestly needs more bold inks. Deadman.. One of the best comics out there. Green Arrow on the otherhand just sucks from issue 1-3. Supergirl is getting my attention with spectacular art and writing, but I can't say the same for Demon Knights. It often has this near goofy approach to the mideval times that is just both silly and stupid. Action Comics lost my interest by the second issue, and Superman was so boring it took me 2 days to read it. Captain Atom is just... No. Don't even touch Captain Atom. Green Lantern New Guardians is interesting and focuses on Kyle Ryner and an odd event that's happening to him, while Green Lantern Corps focuses on John Stewart and Guy Gardner, the story is getting really good. Red Lanterns seems to be going off really slowly. Its readable but its just so slow. Men of War wrapped me up in the story but the third issue is lacking. Black Hawks is plain bad. Resurrection Man sucks. Animan Man lost my interest. Swamp Thing needs to pick up faster. Suicide Squad is a crazy insane ride from beginning to end with surprises around every corner, and totally wicked cast of interesting characters who are both badasses, and hilarious in their own dark humor sort of way. Finally the new Teen Titans series... It just sucks so hard. Its possibly the worst series of the 52.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/17/2011, 5:54 pm

Did I mention Voodoo? Voodoo was good. A little mature. But it was good.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 on 11/19/2011, 11:17 am

I've never read voodoo, although I'd like to get my hands on it sooner or later.

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/19/2011, 6:52 pm

It's a very sexy comic I must say.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 on 11/20/2011, 10:08 am

If it is a sexy comic then I MUST read it

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/20/2011, 11:03 am

redhood321 wrote:If it is a sexy comic then I MUST read it
Uhh I mean that in it's most literal sense.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 on 11/20/2011, 11:08 am

Mercy wrote:
I see

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/20/2011, 11:10 am

redhood321 wrote:
Mercy wrote:
I see
Voodoo? She's from Wildcats I think. She's a... Stripper.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 on 11/20/2011, 11:13 am

Mercy wrote:
redhood321 wrote:
Mercy wrote:
I see
Oh yeah, I remember that now.

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/20/2011, 12:56 pm

redhood321 wrote:
Mercy wrote:
redhood321 wrote:
Mercy wrote:
I see
Oh yeah, I remember that now.
You've read Wildcats? Some of my favorite artists worked on Wildcats. How is it?

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarKMaster006 on 11/23/2011, 9:12 am

Are you reading Red Hood and the Outlaws? Is very good for me.

DarKMaster006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/23/2011, 10:54 am

I refuse to read several series for several characters that I don't like. I hate Starfire and I hate Jason Todd so I'm just going to ignore Red Hood and the Outlaws, I can't stand Deathstroke, I refuse to read OMAC and Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE, Hawk and Dove has the worst artist so I'm skipping that, I'm ignoring Static Shock and Batwing, I actually want to get Mr. Terrific.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod on 11/23/2011, 9:47 pm

One of the major reasons I don't like the New 52 can be rather eloquently summed up in this nifty little article.

Now; as a bit of a disclaimer, it's a bit of a biased article because it is written by someone who, like myself, finds a lot of problems with the new 52, but unlike myself, cannot or will not separate themselves from the issue enough to be unbiased.

I don't like the New 52 for the reasons mentioned therein; but I can respect the reasons for those elements to be present. The New 52 was created for the purpose of attracting new readers, and for that purpose it has to be shifted slightly. However some of those shifts are going to take the form of Character Derailment which is something that happens to tap-dance on my stupid button.
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 on 11/26/2011, 1:25 pm

Mercy wrote:I refuse to read several series for several characters that I don't like. I hate Starfire and I hate Jason Todd so I'm just going to ignore Red Hood and the Outlaws, I can't stand Deathstroke, I refuse to read OMAC and Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE, Hawk and Dove has the worst artist so I'm skipping that, I'm ignoring Static Shock and Batwing, I actually want to get Mr. Terrific.
Can't help but ask WHY you don't like Jason. I mean everyone hates starfire, but I thought you didn't mind Jason. [I will agree that the more recent stuff REALLY put his character in the shredder and caused his likability to plummet. Because, you know, he was so charming before.]

And TDG, that was a VERY interesting article.

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 11/27/2011, 4:04 am

I just never liked that bastard. The comics version of how he returned from the dead was stupid. Hell, he was like one of the worst Robin's of all five. Well, cept Stephanie. Stephanie can burn in hell.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redeagle321 on 11/27/2011, 10:07 am

well stephanie just plain didn't last as a Robin, She only barely held the title before she got mashed to a pulp. And I'll admit, as a ROBIN he was a little turd. But I thought that becoming the red hood worked wonders for the character, otherwise I doubt anyone would remember him.
Although I STILL don't get how he came back in the comics, Under the Red Hood made a LOT more sense.

-Commander Data
redeagle321
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 12/5/2011, 11:49 pm

redhood321 wrote:well stephanie just plain didn't last as a Robin, She only barely held the title before she got mashed to a pulp. And I'll admit, as a ROBIN he was a little turd. But I thought that becoming the red hood worked wonders for the character, otherwise I doubt anyone would remember him.
Although I STILL don't get how he came back in the comics, Under the Red Hood made a LOT more sense.
I suppose we have a difference in opinion, as I don't see how turning him into a drug dealing psychopathic murderer would do wonders for a character. And it was in Lost Days.

DC Database wrote:"It is later revealed that Jason indeed had died at the hands of the Joker, but when Superboy-Prime alters reality from the paradise dimension in which he is trapped (six months after his death), Jason is restored to life and breaks out of his coffin."

Also! Number of title characters to "die" that I can think of off the top of my head.

Captain Atom #1
Green Lantern #3
The Flash #3
Hawkman #1

I'm getting tired of these "surprise deaths" that keep coming up, and it seems to be a theme in not only the bad comics but the good ones too. "Oh, how's Hal Jordon gonna get out of this one?" "Oh my god, Captain Atom just melted to DEATH." Obviously they're coming back.

I was going to put Batman #3 up there but I realized it wouldn't count because all that happens is that it ends in an explosion. Each of the comics listed above they show our hero dead, disintegrating, or having their skin and bone vaporize from their very being. Batman can live through explosions. He's done it before.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinisa on 1/31/2012, 6:31 pm

Birds of Prey was amazing. The fact that Babs is back in action as Bats is great, but what really makes this is the contrasting personalities on the team. There's the leader, Black Canary, the loose cannon Starling, the "Keeps to herself" killer fighter Katana, eco-terrorist Poison Ivy and the always heroic Batgirl. Watching them work together - and the plot that was somehow turned from classic cliche to "What now?!" - is just beautiful.

Supergirl is good. Not as amazing as BoP, but still worth checking out if you're a Kara fan. Or a fan of Superman getting punched.

Global Mod
Global Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 1/31/2012, 7:12 pm

Birds of Prey.. Its one of my favorite series right now actually. The both of them. I actually found myself liking Supergirl a whole lot more because of the New 52 and same with Green Lantern. At first they were just there but now I'm really want to get to know them more. Superman is so monotonous and Superboy is actually pretty good, but my favorite series right now is Justice League, though I'd be lying if I didn't say Batman comes into a very very close first.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinisa on 1/31/2012, 8:04 pm

I have yet to get my hands on Justice League, but it's on my reading list.

Catwoman is one a lot of my friends have been chatting about. While the first issue was very thin in plot and very thick in fan service, my friend declared, the rest of the series was just full of twists and turns. I have yet to see.

Batgirl is good. I'm liking the Gretel character so far and Bab's inner commentary is real amusing.

And, for those who don't know, the red-hooded lady spotted in EVERY FIRST ISSUE OF THE NEW 52 has been given a name. Pandora.

Global Mod
Global Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 1/31/2012, 11:52 pm

Eh, I actually can't stand Gretel. I wish the art was better for Batgirl, because I'm really disappointed. I get my Batgirl off in Birds of Prey. Jesus Saiz is such a good artist.

But I stopped at issue 3 for Catwoman. I can't stand it anymore. Thinking it would eventually get better, but honestly just couldn't take it. It's like giving someone money to punch your face.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod on 6/14/2012, 1:26 pm

See it's covers like This that make it really hard to take the New 52 seriously.
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandal on 6/14/2012, 1:34 pm

TheDeceiverGod wrote:See it's covers like This that make it really hard to take the New 52 seriously.
Well to be fair that's not New 52. Zatanna is in Justice League Dark.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDeceiverGod on 6/14/2012, 1:40 pm

It's still part of the reboot, which I consider New 52, even if it's not technically under the 'New 52' title.

I mean, ignoring the tentacles slowly lurking out of the dark shadows toward the scantily-clad female magician, compare that cover to like This one or this one form before the reboot.

Granted she's still nearly popping out of her top there in that second one, but she looks like a doll in the reboot cover.
TheDeceiverGod
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Disclaimer
Our DC Comics Fanbase community does not own any copywritten material owned by DC Comics Inc. All rights are reserved to the owners.